Thursday 12 December 2013

Red Cross and Resthome of Hiironen

Time for the Service part to get some daylight.
So at total I have 24 hours of service.

For Red Cross Finland I have done 17 hours of CAS in forms of

  1. EU - food service  5,5 hours
  2. Planning an event held by them   2,5 h
  3. Helping to held the event of theirs  9 h

We made a dreamcatcher together!
    I have also helped my friend to do her own music video which is going to be published to YouTube. She never could have done it without help, as anyone can imagine. I was acting the best friend of the main character - part. From that I got 4 hours of Service.

    Learning outcome: Engaged with issues of global importance, that is the treatment of elderly and immigrants.I learned that there are issues that are hard to fix, but individuals can bring comfort being there for them and having good time, and just talk about things.

    31.11.2013 Saturday I was at the Hiironen Resthome baking Christmas pies. We thought that there are many departments that cannot bake themselves and that new people once in a while would be good for them, so we went and helped. There was an old woman who had troubles speaking but it was very clear that she enjoyed our presence and was curious towards us. And then there was a old man who, without permission, took a pie and ate it. The nurses rebuked him but I thought that he did nothing wrong because we didn't say at any point that they couldn't eat them right away. I guess they have some unwritten rules there then, but I must say that even though they have quite everything they need I would not want to live there. There was still smell and the nurses were OK but not as caring as they could be. I lately saw a raw version of a document about prisoners and the elderly where the differences in the institutions had been compared. The elderly may lay down for days without hygiene checks etc. and they don't even have internet connections, unlike the prisoners. I think it is a great injustice that THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE SOMETHING BAD get a better treatment than THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE PAID TAXES ALL THEIR LIFE AND BEEN KIND AND CARING CITIZENS. I just don't...... whatever.... not my decisions to make is it.. :/  I felt ethically right when I was standing on their side and taking the responsibility, even though the act was not one I would have ever considered as something not appreciated. In my family background it has never been wrong to take more food, the opposite... So I really understood, what the man was going through. Small things count, yeah?! :)


    I also have had total of half an hour of Service from the infos doing CAS, and doing it for Red Cross.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment