Tuesday 24 February 2015

Red Cross holiday event!

Hello my CAS-coordinator, you are the only one reading this, but anyways...

This was the fourth time that I have been arranging an event as a volunteer with Red Cross.
I have talked to immigrants and other's that have the need of new friends that are open to all different kinds of backgrounds and religions behind them before, but this event was something special for me.  Yes, I have known for years now that immigrants in Finland tend to keep on their own, because of Finnish people are the kind of slowly warming persons, I am too (, but gladly I like to get to know new people) and it is not the ideal situation, if people avoid you as you are trying to fit in. After the event, when I went to my bed and started thinking back what had happened hours before:

At 5 pm.  

I drove to the event place and there were three people plus me, and we started to prepare our theme room, Easter! :) We made Easter-Egg templates for people to color, and I decorated a glass jar where we put candy and the one who guessed the weight the nearest got it all to his/herself. I also came up with an idea to put garbage bag slices to the walls to make a tree, where to put the colored Easter-Eggs and some feathers if one wanted. Putting the tree up, was a lot harder than you'd think and we had to work in two teams to get all where they should be. Two were taping, and two were holding the slices at place. 

When there were ten minutes to opening of the event, we changed our clothes to ones more matching to the theme:D  I was a pink bunny (pink jumpsuit, bunny-ears, and face colors did the job) and one of my friends was a chick, yellow clothes and all, even her face was yellow, imagine the job to get it off xD

At 6 pm and so on...

People started coming in and we up the room with our smiles and some Easter music, one song especially was liked and it is a Finnish one called "Tiputanssi", and there is a dance to it believe or not :D We taught them it and it was super fun and all the guests were so nice and warmhearted that I don't know how else to describe it. I also visited, when I could, the other rooms. There were a Christmas room, Vappu-room (One day in May, when all that have the white hat can celebrate, originally it is meant though to be the feast of the poor, or the  worker class.), and Valentines Day -room, and one dedicated to Halloween:D 

Learning outcome: Considered the ethical implications of their actions, which means that I have learned, that ethical actions accompanied with bravery to look new people from different perspective than before leads to new great relationships. Finnish people should act ethically more often, it really does have a benefit to your life.

So, alongside all that business and dizziness I realized that the problem is in the attitudes that parents teach to their white children here in Finland, and totally not in the immigrants! It is our responsibility to take care of the ones that are weaker in our society, language as an example of one weakness one can face, and that the attitudes will not change unless acted upon, and I just believe that if all young people like me would have been there and felt what I felt with them, we all could understand and accept each other as we are. 

That was my serious side from today, keep your eyes open and receptive. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment